The day will focus solely on ultrasonic NDT equipment and its use in practice. This will be done by looking at how it works in theory in the morning and then in practice outside after lunch at P&S Marine. The location is Croxley Green, Watford.
The day’s agenda is as follows:
09.00: Meet at Brewers Fayre Rising Sun at Croxley Green, Watford. Full address: 2 Ascot Road, Croxley Green, Watford, Hertfordshire WD18 8AP.
09.45: Presentation on ultrasonic testing equipment, its uses, how to make the best use of it and the pitfalls to look out for by Jeffrey Casciani-Wood.
• Video introduction featuring a broker and a marine surveyor discussing pitting and the double plating on a narrow boat.
• Outline of The Scientific Method’s application to the UTS measurement of a hull.
• Thoughts on grinding off, the effect of plate curvature and couplants.
• Guidance on the number of readings that should be taken and the minimum allowable thicknesses for various parts of the boat.
• Examples of formulae and how to use them practically.
11.30: Jon Sharland, Tritex NDT, gives an over view of the equipment and how to use it.
13.30: Be on site at P&S Marine (just a couple of minutes walk away from the pub) for an afternoon of hands on training on steel narrow boats.
Breakfast, lunch, tea and coffee are available at the Brewers Fayre restaurant where the morning’s training is taking place at a modest charge, but are at your own cost.
There is a Premier Inn adjacent to the pub if you require accommodation the night before.
You are recommended to bring the following items of clothing with you:
Warm outerwear and gloves
Stout boots as the site is very muddy!
Hard hat (optional)
Please also bring your ultrasonic equipment with (if you have your own)
A calculator and notebook
The cost for this one day’s training for which you also get 5 valuable CPD points is just £75 and £85 for non IIMS members.
To reserve your place please contact Tania Bernice by telephone on 023 9238 5223 or email her.