Membership of the Institute will be at the following grades, some of which you may apply for, others of which are appointed:
You may apply for the following grades and membership categories:
Applications from surveyors who meet all of the criteria below for full membership are invited from:
• Anyone who can prove that they have practised on a full-time basis for a minimum of five years as a consultant or marine surveyor.
• Individuals who, by producing written reports can demonstrate that they have practised marine surveying or consultancy for at least five years.
• Individuals whose qualifications or experience shall be considered appropriate by the Professional Assessment Committee (as beneficial to the support of the Institute).
Full Members may use the initials MIIMS after their names.
Please note: being a Full Member does not mean a surveyor can survey all craft.
ASSOCIATE MEMBERSHIP IS OPEN TO:
• Individuals practising marine surveying, or consultancy for a minimum of three years and who do not yet fulfil the conditions to become Full Members.
• Full Members who have decided to reduce their involvement in the Institute.
Individuals whose qualifications or experience shall be considered appropriate by the Professional Assessment Committee, (as beneficial to the support of the Institute).
Associate Members may use the designation AssocIIMS after their names.
TECHNICIAN MEMBERSHIP IS OPEN TO:
• Individuals holding a recognised qualification, for example, Inspector level 2 or higher (NACE, FROSIO, ICorr), RMCI and IRMII, NDT Technicians (CSWIP), for example gauging personnel, divers or other surveyors with at least three years full-time practical experience in a marine related field. Technician Members may use the designation TechIIMS after their names.
AFFILIATE MEMBERSHIP IS OPEN TO:
• Less experienced surveyors, graduates and those who are in the early stages of a career in marine surveying, but who do not meet the criteria for Full or Associate Membership and are continuing to train and gain experience prior to applying for Associate Membership.
SUPPORTING MEMBERSHIP IS OPEN TO:
• Individuals who are not marine surveyors, but who have an interest in marine surveying and who encourage and approve of the aims of the Institute.
CORPORATE MEMBERSHIP IS OPEN TO:
• Marine surveying organisations that encourage and approve of the aims of the Institute and have staff who are members of the Institute.
CORPORATE SUPPORTING MEMBERSHIP IS OPEN TO:
• Organisations having an interest in marine surveying or marine consultancy and who encourage and approve of the aims of the Institute may apply to be Corporate Supporting Members.
RETIRED MEMBERSHIP IS OPEN TO:
• Any Institute member who has ceased surveying but who wishes to remain in membership. A 50% discount applies to the normal membership rates.
Appointed grades and membership categories are:
Members of the Institute may be nominated as Fellows but only by an existing Fellow, seconded by a Fellow, Full or Associate member. The IIMS Fellowship is not an automatic time upgrade. Eligibility for FIIMS will be as follows:
• Full Member in continuous membership and of good standing for a minimum period of 5 years with no complaints to their record.
• The prospective candidate should demonstrate continuous CPD over a 5 year period.
• The prospective candidate will be required to demonstrate having made a significant contribution to the IIMS, or the marine industry.
• Members of other accepted and recognised Marine Surveying Organisations will be considered under reciprocal arrangements providing the IIMS time and CPD criteria is met in full.
Fellows may use the designation FIIMS after their name.
• From time to time the Management Board may confer Honorary Membership on individuals who have given outstanding service to the Institute. Honorary Members have the same rights as Full Members but do not pay a subscription. Honorary members may use the designation HonIIMS after their names.
• Individuals who have passed an Institute Professional Qualification course, but do not have sufficient experience to qualify as Full or Associate Members.
Graduate Members may use the designation GradIIMS after their names.
NB. Graduate Members get the first year after passing their Professional Qualification free on the website and then are asked if they wish to upgrade. After three years, a Graduate may apply for Associate Membership provided they can produce evidence of their experience as a marine surveyor. Graduates who cannot provide evidence may apply for Affiliate Membership whilst continuing to gain experience.
• Individuals who register for either of the Institute’s Professional Qualifications will be appointed as Student Members of the Institute for the duration of their course.