* To select multiple countries or surveys highlight an option in blue then hold down the ctrl key on your keyboard before making a second selection. You should satisfy yourself that your chosen surveyor is competent to do your job.
Class society DNV GL has published an up-to-date assessment of the most promising alternative marine fuels available today. The study is timely, as the 2020 fuel sulfur cap is fast approaching and the IMO has just decided to aim for a 50 percent cut in shipping’s carbon emissions.
Nations meeting at the United Nations International Maritime Organization (IMO) in London recently have adopted an initial strategy on the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions from ships, setting out a vision to reduce GHG emissions from international shipping and phase them out, as soon as possible in this century.
The vision confirms IMO’s commitment to reducing GHG emissions from international shipping and, as a matter of urgency, to phasing them out as soon as possible.
The superyacht fraternity are waking up to the growing threat that drones pose to privacy, safety & security on-board their yachts. Recent years have seen a massive advance in drone endurance, range and payload capacity whilst the price has also plummeted, leading to a proliferation of drones expected to reach 12 million by 2020.
Terrorist use of drones deploying explosives and poison gas attacks are well documented. The potential for a drone to deliver an explosive charge or even payloads such as nerve-gas on-board a superyacht is a stark reality. Paparazzi intrusion using drones approaching superyachts is already a recognised and growing problem. Yachts in port, at anchor or on coastal transits are simply ‘sitting ducks’ and currently powerless to know if/when they’re going to be attacked, let alone be in a position to defend against the threat.
A fire is one of the most frightening things that can happen at sea. Often, seafarers have no ready access to the
emergency services when a fire breaks out and will need to rely on their own resources, courage and training to tackle and extinguish the blaze quickly to ensure the safety of the ship and everyone on board. To help Standard P&I Club has issued a guide to fire safety on ferries.
There are numerous causes of fire but the most relevant to ferries are:
– Electrical defects, such as overloaded electrical equipment, damaged cables and poorly formed connections. – Electrical faults in vehicles, especially when engines are hot/running. Reefer containers are major sources of fire.
– Mechanical failure, such as ignition from overheated bearings or a catastrophic engine failure.
– Uncontrolled release of oil or flammable liquid coming into contact with a hot surface, or the release of a low flashpoint fuel, such as petrol vapour, coming into contact with a source of ignition.
– Dry, readily combustible materials (such as wood, paper, textiles) coming into contact with an ignition source, such as a lighted cigarette, sparks or conducted heat from burning or cutting, highintensity lights or defective electrical equipment.
Following the successful development and subsequent launch to market of the electric roll damping system for yachts up to 30 metres, the MagnusMaster, DMS Holland has now started, in cooperation with Brabant Engineering, the development of a roll damping system for fast-planing yachts up to 30 metres.
This new AntiRoll damping system, like the MagnusMaster, will be produced as a standard-series stabiliser. Until now, AntiRoll has only been developed as a ‘custom build’ for super- and mega yachts. DMS Holland will be taking this patented dual-axis fin stabiliser and using it to form the basis for their new system. The fundamental concept behind AntiRoll remains the same, namely high-aspect fins that rotate whilst sailing and flap whilst the yacht is at anchor. It is stabilisation at fast speed that will form the extra addition and make it a 3-in-1 stabiliser. “How this will actually be achieved we are keeping to ourselves for a little while longer yet,” says Patrick Noor, DMS Holland’s co-owner responsible for sales & marketing.