The MCA has published a document called ‘A Masters Guide to the UK Flag – Large Yacht’ and has just updated it and released edition 4. The purpose of the 34 page guide is to provide easy to use information regarding United Kingdom merchant shipping regulations and administrative procedures. UK regulations and procedures may differ from those of other Flag Administrations and this guide will help to comply with UK requirements.
The updates in edition 4 include the following:
– The latest version has been designed for electronic distribution, this version introduces links to supporting websites and documents.
– The content now references the requirements of the REG Large Yacht Code (previously LY3).
– Contact information for relevant MCA branches has been updated.
– All references to M Notices and guidance documents have been updated to the latest available versions. Links provided for each.
– Guidance for Non-STCW Yacht Master licence holders employed as Yacht Ratings added, see paragraph 1.3.2.
– Additional guidance on training for stewards and persons preparing food in a galley for whom food preparation is not their primary role, see paragraph 1.4.3
– Requirements for Schedule of Shipboard Working Arrangements added, see paragraph 2.3.
– Acceptance of electronic records of hours of rest added, see Paragraph 2.4.3 Schedule of Working Hours.
– Guidance on Statutory Paid Leave added, see paragraph 2.7. – Guidance on Shore Leave added, see paragraph 2.8.
– Accident Reporting changed to Marine Casualty and Marine Incident Reporting. MAIB Contact information updated. – Links added for Accident Report Form (ARF). See chapter 9.
– Shipowner’s Liability and Financial Security requirements added, see Paragraph 10.3.
– Guidance on Alcohol and Drugs added, see chapter 15.
Click to download the guide: A Master's Guide to the UK Flag
Read more from the Maritime and Coastguard Agency: MCA publishes new guidance on enclosed space entry