MAIB is conducting a preliminary assessment of a fatal accident that occurred on a privately owned cabin cruiser at Cardiff Yacht Club on Saturday 12 November 2016. Shortly after midday the boat’s owner was found collapsed on the boat and despite the efforts of fellow club members and emergency services he did not regain consciousness.
At the time of the accident the boat was secured to a club pontoon. The inboard petrol engine was running and the canvas cockpit canopy was fully closed except for one zip that was undone.
Approximately 45 minutes after he had started the engine, the owner was discovered collapsed in the cabin. Two club members boarded the boat and began to administer CPR.
Paramedics arrived and immediately recognised that the rescuers were displaying symptoms consistent with carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. They removed the cockpit cover and continued to administer CPR to the owner.
The owner was transported to hospital but was later pronounced deceased. Both rescuers were confirmed as suffering from CO poisoning and treated in hospital.
Initial MAIB tests showed high levels of CO inside the cockpit with the engine running.
The boat was not fitted with a CO detector/alarm.
The MAIB investigation is independent of any investigation carried out by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency and the police.