New ‘smart yacht’ forum planned for Monaco

A new event focusing on smart yachts from 24m (79ft) and above is scheduled to be held from March 23-24 at the Yacht Club de Monaco (YCM).

The 1st Monaco Smart Yacht Rendezvous is being organised by M3 (Monaco Marina Management), a Monegasque consultancy specialised in eco-marinas, and follows on from the success of its Monaco Smart & Sustainable Marina Rendezvous held in advance of the Monaco Yacht Show 2022.

With this new event, M3 wants to promote sustainable solutions for superyachts, and it will be under the aegis of the ‘Monaco, Capital of Advanced Yachting’ initiative. The new rendezvous will be part of the Monaco Ocean Week which culminates with the Smart Innovative Yacht Awards.

“It is imperative to involve the entire ecosystem to make it more virtuous by encouraging exchanges and bringing on innovations that can affect major changes to the industry,” says Jose Marco Casellini, CEO of M3. “Today it’s a priority. It is estimated that on average yachts spend 80% of their time quayside and most of the rest of the 20% at anchor.

“Thanks to technology, new solutions are available. We started with infrastructures, the Monaco Smart & Sustainable Marina Rendezvous (next one: September 24-25, 2023), and logic dictates that we continue with yachts as the two are inextricably linked.”

The rendezvous is supported by the Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation, Credit Suisse and sustainable economy specialist, Blumorpho.

Two online sessions related to the new event have been held with the first including Marc Hervás, sustainability coordinator at superyacht refit and repair yard MB92, and Laurent Perignon, yachting and new technologies consultant.

The second online session featured Paris Baloumis, group marketing director of superyacht builder Oceanco, whose ambition is to design, build and support the world’s most advanced and inspirational motor and sailing yachts.

The new networking event is an opportunity for owners and players in the industry to discover the technical challenges that need to be overcome and facilitate new partnerships, particularly in the circular economy. An ambition that is all the more necessary as the industry generates increasing multi-billion euro amounts.

The rendezvous will address the whole lifecycle from R&D to usage, maintenance and finance. Topics up for discussion include new propulsion solutions, eco-friendly materials, optimising fuel consumption, water management, connectivity and security.

The objective has multiple facets, not least the fact that naval architects, owners, captains and shipyards can learn, exchange and meet with investors, start-ups, scale-ups and innovative companies. Those from the latter three groups are selected to participate and will appear in an e-catalogue with a short presentation on their innovative solutions applicable to yachts.

The ultimate aim of the process is to present a Smart Innovative Yacht Award for the most intelligent and most eco-responsible solution in three categories (Start-ups, Scale-ups and Companies). The three awards will be announced on March 24.

Instagram Posts from the IIMS @iimsmarine